User Interface Development
Middle School – Wizard Level II – Class 1
When students complete User Interface Development, they will be able to:
- Use advanced CSS symmetry and layout techniques
- Interface to popular APIs to increase data sharing and functionality
- 2. Let’s Learn FlexboxCreate eye-pleasing l design concepts with Flexbox.
- 4. Inputs Part 2Answer questions with HTML radio buttons and drop-down list inputs.
- 5. Photo Editor I – Mid-Term ProjectEdit photos using your Flexbox, jQuery, HTML and CSS skills.
In part one of this mid-term project, students create an interactive photo editor. Students utilize flexbox, jQuery, HTML, and CSS to create a dynamic and useful photo editor.
- 6. Photo Editor II – Mid-Term ProjectEdit photos using your Flexbox, jQuery, HTML and CSS skills.
In part two of this mid-term project, students complete an interactive photo editor. Students utilize flexbox, jQuery, HTML, and CSS to create a dynamic and useful photo editor. The result is an impressive portfolio quality project utilizing skills learned so far in this course.
- 7. ValidationsAvoid errors by validating user input.
In this lesson, students learn how to validate user input so that errors can be caught and corrected. Students create a form which collects name and email information. Data is validated for format and length.
- 8. jQuery UI with CSS CombinatorsUtilize features of the jQuery UI Library.
In this lesson, students utilize the jQuery UI Library to add interactions, widgets and effects. Students are introduced to CSS child, parent, and sibling combinators and create an interactive, sortable task list web application.
- 9. CookiesUtilize the cookie.js library.
In this lesson, students utilize the “contenteditable” attribute to make a notepad application. Students are introduced to the jQuery Prepend and Append functions to create a notepad web application. Information on the “sticky notes” is stored for later use using cookies.
- 10. Intro to APIsLearn how APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) work.
In this lesson, students explore APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) in order to receive data from other applications on the Internet. Students use an Ajax request to interface with YouTube’s API and create a video re-mix project.
- 11. Photo Editor III – Finale ProjectEnhance your photo editor with popular APIs like Pixabay and Imgur.
In this lesson, students create an interface to Pixabay’s API to enhance the photo editor from the mid-term project. Students create a pixabay search capability so that any image available can be utilized. A new method using a for loop is introduced in the process.
- 12. Photo Editor IV – Finale ProjectComplete a portfolio-quality photo editor that uses popular APIs.
This lesson completes a portfolio-quality final project utilizing APIs to both Pixabay and Imgur and creating “Instagram-like” photo filters for royalty-free images found on Pixabay. Students utilize knowledge and skills learned throughout the course to complete this complex and rewarding final project.
All students start in Intro to Programming at Wizard Level I. If you have previous coding experience, take the Advanced Placement test. Returning students can continue with the class where they left off.
- Intro to Programmingon Mondays (12 weeks, 1 class per week)
- Intro to Programming (CLASS FULL)on Wednesdays (12 weeks, 1 class per week)
- Intro to Programmingon Sundays (12 weeks, 1 class per week)
- Intro to Programmingon Tuesdays (12 weeks, 1 class per week)
- Intro to Programmingon Wednesdays (12 weeks, 1 class per week)
- Intro to Programmingon Fridays (12 weeks, 1 class per week)
#1 Most Comprehensive Program for Your Student’s Success!
The CodeWizardsHQ program comes with everything your child needs to be successful in learning to code.
All of the below are included at no extra cost.
Course Duration & Time Commitment
All courses are 12 weeks long. A Wizard will receive a certification for their achievement at the end of the course.
Expect a weekly time commitment of 2-3 hours. 1 hour of class time, plus 1-2 hours of practice time, with instructors support throughout, including weekends.
Our goal is to make all our students successful. If your child is not happy with our program, please notify us within the first four class sessions and you will receive a full refund.