Fundamentals of Web Development
High School – Wizard Level I – Class 2
When students complete Fundamentals of Web Development, they will be able to:
- Understand and write HTML and CSS
- Understand the basics of a good UI
- 1. Creating your first webpageCreate your very first web page!
In this lesson, we are going to take a look at one of the most fundamental and important web development tools: HTML. We will be learning about where our web browsers get HTML and how they utilize them. Additionally, we will also start writing our first few lines of HTML!
- 2. Attributes & SelectorsUse attributes and selectors!
In this lesson, we will start looking at how to use CSS. Not only will we be writing our first CSS code to stylize our website, but we will also be taking a closer look at how attributes work by learning about anchor tags and we will learn about class and id attributes.
- 3. Text FormattingFormatting text is important for our design
In this lesson, we’re going to learn about text formatting. We can format text using a variety of different variables: size, font, weight, and so on. In this class, we will be taking a look at each of these properties and figuring out how to adjust them.
- 5. Mid term project – IThe best way to learn is by doing, hence, our musical midterm project.
- 6. Mid term project – IIKeep going on that musical midterm!
In this lesson, we will continue to work on our musical midterm. We are going to debug our code as well as adding some final touches like incorporating audio.
- 7. ColorsBeautify your website by utilizing colors.
In this lesson, we are going to explore how to incorporate color by making a coloring website! On top of getting to learn a little bit more about CSS and HTML, we will learn how color values work and how to use them. All while making a fun game!
- 8. DOM ManipulationLet’s take a quick peek at the Document Object Model.
In this lesson, we are going to take a look at DOM, Document Object Model. We will learn more about DOM by visually organizing our information into cards, which can be used to add some organized images and text slots to our website. Cards will be used to bring some spice to our superhero card website!
- 9. jQuery AnimationsAnimating elements using jQuery!
- 10. VideosAdding multimedia to our website by embedding videos.
In this lesson, we’re going to learn about where and how to use videos on our website. We will create a fun arcade station that plays the Super Mario Bros game. We can do this by using our HTML and CSS knowledge to create a box and use what we just learned about embedding videos to add Mario gameplay in.
- 11. Final Project – IPutting our knowledge to use with our final project.
In this lesson, we’ll be wrapping up a lot of the work we’ve done. We’re going to put our skills to the test by creating a note web app. Additionally, we are going to learn a few extra tools to make our life easier, such as append and prepend.
- 12. Final Project – IIWrapping up and debugging our final project!
In this lesson, we’ll be finishing up our final project, Quick Notes! Not only will we be debugging any last-minute problems, but we will also be adding some final functionality to our web app to make sure it’s in top condition.
All students start in Intro to Python at Wizard Level I. If you have previous coding experience, take the Advanced Placement test. Returning students can continue with the class where they left off.
Course Duration & Time Commitment
All courses are 12 weeks long. A Wizard will receive a certification for their achievement at the end of the course.
Expect a weekly time commitment of 2-3 hours. 1 hour of class time, plus 1-2 hours of practice time, with instructors support throughout, including weekends.
Our goal is to make all our students successful. If your child is not happy with our program, please notify us within the first four class sessions and you will receive a full refund.