Webpages with HTML & CSS
Middle School – Wizard Level I – Class 2
When students complete Webpages with HTML & CSS, they will be able to:
- Writing code in HTML and CSS
- Personalize web pages using text formatting, graphics, audio, and video
- Plan and design a web application from scratch
- 1. Introduction to HTMLBehind the scenes, website edition.
In this lesson, students get a taste for what happens behind the scenes when they are viewing web pages online. They are also introduced to HTML (HyperText Markup Language), one of the two core languages used to create web pages.
- 2. Introduction to CSSHTML and CSS, two peas in a pod.
In this lesson, students get an introduction to CSS (Cascading Style Sheet), a programming language that was created for web developers to describe the format and presentation of a web page. This language pairs amazingly with HTML, and is a basic building block for developing a website.
- 3. HTML StructureLearn to organize your website’s information.
In this lesson, we take a more in-depth look at HTML, this time putting more attention on structure and tags. Students will learn about the syntax of heading, paragraph, and link tags.
- 4. AttributesUse attributes to control tags.
In this lesson, students learn how to add information to their tags to give them more control over function and appearance. Students also learn about the anchor tag and how to utilize attributes to create their first link.
- 5. Text StylingPersonalize and beautify your text.
In this lesson, students delve into different text styling tools, including ways to change the color, size, style, and font. This will help students more easily personalize and design their websites.
- 6. ContainersUse containers to organize your website.
In this lesson, students learn all about containers and how to use them. Students will get familiar with the syntax, function, and place of containers.
- 7. ClassesDefine your own selectors using classes.
In this lesson, classes expand on our previous knowledge of IDs as identifiers for HTML elements. Learning about classes gives students another identifier to operate specified tasks for elements.
- 8. Box ModelView HTML elements through the eyes of a browser.
In this lesson, students are introduced to the box model, the browser’s way of viewing HTML elements. Students will learn how the box model organizes and positions HTML elements on your screen.
- 9. PositioningMove HTML elements around with positioning.
In this lesson, students get to dive into HTML positioning and different want to move elements in relation to the page and each other. They’ll also expand their use of multimedia by learning how to use audio tags for embedding audio files.
- 10. File Structure with VideoBoost presence of multimedia by incorporating videos.
In this lesson, students have already taken a look at embedding text, images, and audio. Now, we will talk about how to incorporate video into web pages. Students will also learn how to handle more complicated file structures by using files in a multitude of locations.
- 11. Fortune Cookie – Part ISurprise visitors with a random fortune.
In this lesson, students will start on their final project which will combine the skills they’ve learned over the past several weeks. They will be creating a web page that simulates a fortune cookie and retrieves a random fortune when clicked.
- 12. Fortune Cookie – Part IIFortune cookie project wrap-up.
All students start in Intro to Programming at Wizard Level I. If you have previous coding experience, take the Advanced Placement test. Returning students can continue with the class where they left off.
Course Duration & Time Commitment
All courses are 12 weeks long. A Wizard will receive a certification for their achievement at the end of the course.
Expect a weekly time commitment of 2-3 hours. 1 hour of class time, plus 1-2 hours of practice time, with instructors support throughout, including weekends.
Our goal is to make all our students successful. If your child is not happy with our program, please notify us within the first four class sessions and you will receive a full refund.